Thursday, March 3, 2011

Questions in the waiting room

I am sitting in the waiting room, not so patiently waiting to see my daughter who just gave birth by emergency c section.

Human reactions are funny things. And basically selfish. When I got the text message that a c section was necessary, my first reaction was the well being of MY daughter, not necessarily the well being of her son. Will she be ok? Why the c section? What is wrong?

I was surprised at my first selfish response. Would MY child be alright? My second thought was "Will HER child be alright?"

As I sit here biding my time, I watch people. A couple in their late forties work crossword puzzles and doze in the overheated waiting room. Who are they waiting for?

A whole clan of people carrying flowers, noisily march in to the elevators, laughing and chattering. Is it a boy or a girl?

Two women, obviously mother and daughter sit across from me, smiling, waiting their turn to see the newest generation. Who will the baby resemble?

A couple in their mid thirties, wait their turn to see a doctor. Coming in and out of the maternity ER, the whisper worriedly together. Is everything ok? What do we do now?

Nurses rush to and fro, carrying things in isotherm packs. What IS in there? Is someone in danger?



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:In a waiting room

2 comments:

  1. Not a selfish thought at all, in my opinion. Just being a mother.

    Mine were C-sections and everything turned out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Taste of Garlic!
    Hope everything went okay with your daughter!! I'm sure it did :)

    ReplyDelete