Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Secret Life of Bees

This is our book club book for the month. We have a small anglophone book club in our area for expats like me. We usually have a yummy dinner at someone's house and discuss our book.

This month was my choice and Paige suggested the Secret Life of Bees. I loved this book. I have always been interested in the South. Maybe because my mom never let me watch Gone With the Wind. This book is worth a read. I tend to be a terrible skimmer when not interested but I read every word.

I could relate to Lily having lost my mom when I was 16. I cried at times, remembering that empty feeling she so vividly recounts in the book.

We'll see the movie too at the next book/movie club. Looking forward to it!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have not seen the movie version, but I did read the book when it first came out. I loved it!!! I was already a fan of Sue Monk Kidd and also enjoyed The Mermaid Chair.

    Have you seen Gone With the Wind as an adult?? I love the movie, but never read the book. I remember seeing it as a kid and my mother "preparing" me for the one cuss-word in it!!

    Speaking of southern novels, I just read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time in my life. (never saw the movie, either)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Gone With the Wind for the first time several years ago in French. It took me a whole summer.

    ReplyDelete